Thursday, April 10, 2014

Gestational Diabetes Week Two

I have officially survived two weeks of blood glucose monitoring. It really hasn't been that bad. I have managed to get into a routine. Mornings are still difficult as River and I are always rushing to get out of the door to get him to school and me to work at a decent time. I am so blessed that neither one of us have to be at work or school at an absolute set time. Otherwise we would be getting a lot of tardy slips! 

I am still eating 3 regular meals and 3 snacks per day. However, since my numbers have been good and my doctor said I no longer have to test my glucose after meals every day, just a few days a week. I will still be testing my fasting (pre-breakfast) number everyday. We need to monitor this one as most people have the most problems with it. I have been lucky so far and haven't had any trouble. My bed time snack of crunch peanut butter on one slice of glycemic index bread and a small glass of milk seem to be keeping my fasting number controlled.

I have also given up on switching between my middle and ring finger for the testing. I somehow managed a very painful stick in my right finger and I haven't gotten the courage to try again. My poor middle finger gets all the pokes now, but surprisingly it doesn't look bad. I still have to work up the courage every stick. I'm not sure that will go away!

K’Lynn


No comments:

Post a Comment