Tuesday, January 28, 2014

New Headboard

I have been begging Jon forever to build a headboard for our bed for at least 2 years. He has been begging for a miter saw for at least 2 years. I finally bought him one for Christmas and less than a week later I had my headboard.



This is the finished product. I don't think words can convey how much I love it!


After a trip to the hardware store to get the 4X8 sheet of 3/8" plywood and a few hours scouring the internet to find a style we liked, Jon drew it out on the plywood. He is very detailed when it comes to things like this and for that I am thankful. If I were the one doing all the measurements it would have ended up square or very uneven.


We made sure the sides were cut straight and even. Don't ever trust the hardware store to have a perfectly straight cut.


We used his plunge router to cut the rounded edges. I say we but he actually did it all while I sat around freezing and minimally complaining. 



Everything was sanded down nice and smooth.


We applied a spray adhesive to attach the foam with. One little tip, to get a good stick wait a few minutes after you apply the spray adhesive to let it get good and sticky. 



We used a twin sized 2 inch foam bed topper. This has provided plenty of padding, but you can feel the pattern through the fabric. It isn't noticeable if you are leaning back on the bed but if you are actively feeling for it you will feel the waves and circles.



We added quilt batting and the fabric. We used a staple gun to staple around the edges and made sure everything was pulled tight. Since this was a king sized headboard I ended up having to sew two pieces of the fabric together in order for it to be a tall enough height. The pattern had to line up exactly, keep that in mind if you are planning on doing a busy pattern. Also, its a good idea to scotch guard your fabric. You never know where red Kool-Aid or wine may end up. 


Jon also created a frame for the headboard using 1X4's and 1X2's to mount onto bed frame. I didn't get pictures of this. I'll admit I was getting a little impatient and I couldn't wait to see what it looked like on the bed.

Overall it cost us around $80 to build a king sized headboard! So far it has held up great with our 5 year old running and jumping on our bed. 



K’Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment